Thursday 10 March 2011

Stanley Kubrick

Since my foray into circus life was inspired by Stanley Kubrick's work it seems only fitting that he is my Artist of the Week this week.

Most people know Kubrick for his eccentric lifestyle and his film work such as A Clockwork Orange, 2001 and The Shinning (my personal favourite). What most people don't realize is that Kubrick was also an incredibly talented photographer. I, in fact, did not realize this until a friend bought me a book of his photographs one Christmas.

Kubrick actually began his career as a photographer working for Look magazine before making movies. While there he spent a few years photography a family circus, it was these photographs that inspired me to photograph the traveling circus the other week. It's amazing to see the differences, not just the lack of animals but how much more glitz they've added to the show today and how much has been removed from the patrons.

I tried to find some other Kubrick photographs to share but they are very hard to come by, once I've located the book at my parent's house I'll do another post so you can see some of his other amazing work with jazz musicians and people on the subway, very inspiring stuff. For now, enjoy the show:

(All photographs property of Stanley Kubrick)

No comments:

Post a Comment