Saturday 7 May 2011

Cinco De Mayo and Tex-Mex


Having lived in Texas for so many years I love the excuse for a Mexican food themed evening and Cinco de Mayo was it. I made everything from scratch starting with fruit salsa, moving on to ranchero pork with marinate lime onions (complete with homemade flour tortilla's) and finished with warm sopapillas drizzled in honey. The fruit salsa was finished well before everything else, the rest of the food was finished just as we were ready to eat it, so it is the only thing I actually had time to photograph. So here we are with a delicious, light salsa recipe, perfect for anyone going into summer (those in the states who I am so jealous of).

Fruit Salsa (serves 8)

Salsa
1 orange (or mango if it's in season)
1 regular kiwi or 2 small
1/2 pint strawberries
1 can crushed pineapples, drained
2 small chilies, chopped, leave the seeds in if you want more spice

Cinnamon & Sugar Tortilla Chips
Pack of soft tortillas
butter
cinnamon
sugar

Salsa: Chopped fruit and chilies (I used the small Ned Kelly's from my garden) and mix in a bowl with the drained pineapple. Leave to sit overnight if you can to help the flavors blend together.

Chips: Heat oven to 375 F. Brush tortillas with melted butter and then sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake in oven for 5-10 minutes until slightly crisp. Once cooled use a pizza cutter to cut into chips.

Serve and enjoy,  I know we did.

2 comments:

  1. I just made the salsa today because you had me thinking about it after I sent you the recipe...if it isn't spicy enough, you can add cayenne powder like I did today...sometimes the jalapenos just aren't spicy enough, even with the seeds...glad you liked it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we just used the little red ones we have growing in the garden, I think Andrew used them in something while you were in town, and they gave enough of a kick for us weaklings no longer used to spicy foods :)

    ReplyDelete