Monday 9 May 2011

Aboriginal Tent Embassy Shake-Up

I went by the Aboriginal Tent Embassy today for the first time in a few weeks. When I got there I noticed a group of people in chairs on the right hand side of the field, I went to the left and started to look for Auntie Jude in the tent area but I was quickly pulled up short when I realized that two of the tents were down and Auntie Jude's looked like it was in pieces as well. My concern grew as I started towards the people on the other side of the field and heard a man yelling.

Once I got to the other group I patiently waited as the man who was yelling stormed off and for someone to acknowledge me so I could discover what was going on. The long of the short is this: Auntie Jude has been removed from the Embassy earlier in the week and would not be returning, the tents are coming down as there is an infestation and an exterminator is coming in to clean the area, there is now a committee in charge of the area who will be making a lot of changes over the next few weeks.

I had an opportunity to speak with one of the heads of the committee and explain that I had been getting to know Auntie Jude and make her comfortable with me so I could photograph the Embassy for the upcoming 40th anniversary. Now there is no Auntie Jude and the space that had been what I imaged photographing is no more. This just goes to show that as a photographer you can never get stuck in an idea when a project has just begun. I knew in my head exactly what shots I was going to try and get and that's now been turned upside down.

I'm going to spend a few days adjusting myself, this is going to give me a chance to decide exactly what it is that I want to focus on and find another way to do that. Considering the Embassy is going to be going through a massive change just now before the anniversary this is still a good time for me to be there and record a bit of history so I should be glad for that and figure out where to go from here. More upsets to come, I'm sure, before this project is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment