Wednesday 23 February 2011

Mitra Tabrizian

I was lucky enough to have Mitra as one of my professors while doing my masters program at the University of Westminster. To be honest I don't know if I would have heard of her otherwise.

Mitra is a British-Iranian photographer currently based in London. She has exhibited throughout Europe, the UK and the USA. She spoke to us in class of identity, and she is one to deal with this well since her identity is split between her life in the UK and Iran. An incredibly mysterious, intelligent and talented woman and I hope you will enjoy her work as much as I have.

This was one of the first images I saw of hers:
Photograph by Mitra Tabrizian from series Terhan 2006
The above and below are part of her incredibly detailed, and well staged tableaux.
Photograph by Mitra Tabrizian Untitled 2009

Her work over the past few years has been very moving and engaging, you could spend ages staring into these images, trying to make sure you see every little detail that she has carefully arranged. I am drawn to one of her first series, Correct Distance. It has a film noir style, so brilliant that I am waiting for Humphrey Bogart to appear around the corner at any moment. As a romantic, film noir to me always manifests into Casablanca and long lost loves, there is always a story behind images like these, and Mitra chooses not to share what that is.






All Photographs Above Copyright of Mitra Tabrizian

1 comment:

  1. You're so right. I can just hear "As Time Goes By" gently playing in the background of the third B&W image. Photographers who not only capture a moment but create a moment are so inspiring =) Beautiful choice of artists! Can't wait to see some more of your work too ;)

    ReplyDelete